Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2

Genesis 4:7
"You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be it's master."

I get the picture of a lion asleep at the door. If we aren't careful to "do what is right", that lion will wake up and devour us. Once sin gets a grip on our lives, it is really hard to escape. Let us be careful to do what is right so that we don't wake up the sleeping lion. I find it interesting that we can be sin's master. We have complete control over whether or not we wake up that sleeping lion or not. We are given the will to say no in those situations or say yes in the direction God is leading. As believers, we know how to "do what is right". We know these things through prayer, scripture, and meditation on God.

Genesis 4:23-24
"One day Lamech said to his wives, 'Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; listen to me, you wives of Lamech. I have killed a man who attacked me, a young man who wounded me. If Someone who kills Cain is punished seven times, then the one who kills me will be punished seventy-seven times!"

I am confused as to the purpose of this story after the story of Cain and Abel. Do you think that the author is showing that God's mercy extends moreso to the one who kills on behalf of self-defense? I'm going to look this up in commentaries and see what scholars say on these verses. Please leave comments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment