Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 7

Genesis 22:4
"On the third day of their journey, Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance."
Abraham and Isaac were on their journey to sacrifice to God for three days. I can only imagine the thoughts and prayers running through Abraham's mind as he traveled with his son, his only son for that long knowing that he will obey God's command to sacrifice Isaac. I can imagine him praying for strength, courage, obedience, and most of all a way out. I haven't had the pleasure of experience parenthood, but I can imagine it is the closest thing we have as humans to experience God's love for us. Abraham went on that journey and, I am sure, was in pure mental torture the entire time. But Abraham knew fully that God will provide, even as he probably struggled with his confused son as he bound him and as he raised the knife to pierce Isaac on the alter, Abraham knew God was there with him. He also knew that he and Isaac would both come back down from the mountain. "'Stay here with the donkey,' Abraham told the servants. 'The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back.'" (vs. 5) What do we hold to so dearly (such as a son, or a hobby, or an heirloom, or our job)? Would we be willing to give it up without batting an eye, truly trusting that God will provide in one way or another? I know I wouldn't be able to just like that. I would be more like Lot's wife: looking back at what I'm leaving behind...and turn into a pillar of salt. A question I have is how do I get faith and obedience like Abraham's? How did he get to that point?

No comments:

Post a Comment